these actually happened by accident. i was looking for fall cookie recipes and found this one, but made a bunch of changes to it. they’re actually supposed to have the glaze on top of the cookies, sprinkled with pecans. since they were going to end up in a cookie jar as a gift, i decided to…
simple apple pie
want to make an apple pie but don’t have the time or energy to make a chilled-flour involved flaky crust? try this one, it’s only got a few (pretty readily available) ingredients and you can make everything within an hour to an hour and a half.
for the filling:
- peel and chop 1/2 a peck of large baking apples. the chopped size is up to your preference.
- melt 3 tbsp earth balance in the bottom of a big pot. pour the apples in, then cover with two cups sugar (we used sugar in the raw) and shake some cinnamon on. stir everything together and heat on low for one hour, or until the apples are the softness you like. stir occassionally.
for the crust:
- cream together 1 1/2 cups earth balance and 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar*.
- beat in 3 cups flour until everything is consistent.
- spread the dough out onto a greased circular baking pan, going up the sides of the pan as well, keeping it about 1/4 inch thick.
pour in the apples, and some of the liquid, then cover the top with the rest of the dough. don’t worry if it looks terrible when you lay it out, ours did too, but in the end it turned out pretty rustic and nice-looking! bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes, or until the crust is solid and parts of it are browning.
serve hot and enjoy :)
AT-AT und Pancakes.. zwei meiner liebsten Dinge kombiniert. Kann das Leben wirklich noch besser werden? Mhh.. Ahornsirup vielleicht.
“Hers were always the saddest of post-modern birthdays.”
Hello to the UH family!
Check out our collaboration with Nowness! Click on the link to read an interview with us about our new book It’s Lonely in the Modern World and to view a series of images (like the one above) handpicked by the Nowness editors for us to caption.